Bed bugs are generally small nocturnal insects that infect each and every corner of the house. They belong to Cimicidae family and feed on the blood. They can live in warm temperatures and works activity at night only.
During daytime, they hide themselves in the desks, nightstands, mattresses, linens, drapery, clothing and artwork frames. They draw out the blood with its two hollow tubes and feeds on the body for about 5 minutes, even the sufferer will don?t known until they bitten.
When they bite the skin it will result in skin infections, allergic reactions, red and itchy welts, etc. One can observe bites on the body along with some sight of dried blood, bed bug skin and its eggs as signs of bed bug infections.
The people affected by bed bugs have been increased now than ever before in the United States. Their flat body makes them squeeze into tiny crevices in mattresses, furniture, dresser drawers, cracks of doorways, shelving units and other areas ripe for hiding.
However, they don?t transmit any disease but causes red, itchy bits (which breaks the skin and causes infection) along with improper sleep.
It is difficult to spot the bed bugs with the naked eye. So, prefer to call local pest control company but the thing we should remember is that there is also a risk like pesticides and insecticides used in this pest control contains toxic chemicals like active and inert ingredients.
Fortunately, there are many natural ways to get rid of bed bugs. Do you know that bed bugs insects are unable to survive in extreme hot or cold temperatures? So, if you follow some natural ways like steam cleaning, drying on high heat or hot washes will help to eliminate these bugs from bedding, clothes or furniture.
All you need is to locate the infestation, keep your bed area and its surrounding clean to eliminate all traces of the bugs. Although they typically found in bedrooms, you can also find them living in anywhere in your home.
Follow the below mentioned home remedies that control the breeding of bed bugs and helps you to get rid of the problem at low cost. Other than reducing this problem without any side effects, they protect you from the negative effects of these insects on the human body.
Here are some effective natural remedies that help you a lot in clearing the bed bugs in a cost-effective manner. Let?s get started?
Remedy ? 1: (Diatomaceous Earth)
Diatomaceous Earth (DE) is a chemical free powder that is widely used to treat bed bugs and other different bed bugs. Simply spread diatomaceous earth all around your house and other areas where you found bed bugs nest. You can get rid of these bed bugs in not more than 10 days, as it mortality rate is higher than 90%.
So, the usage of a small amount of DE will help to destroy these bugs effectively by dehydrating them. Simply sprinkle some powder to cracks in the walls and other spaces all around the bed to get rid of bed bugs. Before using this remedy, put a mask and rinse all linens in hot water and vacuum the home thoroughly.
After few days, make sure to vacuum the powder up and repeat the same process once again to clear the recently hatched bed bugs. Repeat the same process for every few days for at least 2 weeks to get complete relief from the problem.
Remedy ? 2: (Steam Cleaning)
There are some items that we can?t wash them at high temperatures and thereby the infestations make not to be eradicated completely either by hot wash washing or vacuuming. Then the best option you have to choose is steam cleaning.
Steam cleaning at high heat (above 140? F) will help to kill the annoying creatures why because both adult bug and its eggs are unable to tolerate the heat emitted from the steam. Another benefit you can grab is that the heat treatment penetrates deep into the fabric and clears small cracks, corners, and crevices.
There are many devices that come with multiple different attachments that help you to access even the most troublesome spots. The fog like steam will terminate bed bugs but the thing you should remember is that use a dry steam rather than wet, as the wet steam will destroy soft furnishing or fabrics.
Remedy ? 3: (Baking Soda)
Baking soda is an excellent drying agent that sucks the moisture from them and thereby kills them completely. Simply spread a light layer of baking soda in all over the affected areas of the home, including layering from every wall to doorways and corners wherever you feel bed bugs are infested.
Let the baking soda for an entire week and after that, suck all the baking soda with a vacuum cleaner till each and every area is thoroughly ensured that there are no bed bugs or its eggs anywhere. Repeat this process for several times to get rid of bed bugs infestation completely.
Remedy ? 4: (Tea Tree Oil)
The antibiotic, antiseptic, antifungal, antimicrobial and expectorant properties of tea tree oil will help you in inhibiting the viral and bacterial infections. It helps a lot in killing insects and also capable of suppressing its growth or destroying them completely.
Simply dilute 20 drops of tea tree oil (100% pure) in a spray bottle which is filled with water and then shake it well to spray this mix on the affected furnishings. Make sure to spray on under, around and all other areas of the affected mattresses along with walls, curtains, cabinets, cushions and other where you feel bed bugs.
Note: Or simply use other essential oils like lavender oil, cedar oil, oregano oil, clove oil, lemongrass oil, eucalyptus oil, rosemary oil, or peppermint oil as a pesticide spray to repel these bed bugs.
Remedy ? 5: (Cayenne Pepper with Oregano Oil and Ginger)
This combination of cayenne pepper, ginger and oregano will make it as a powerful homemade powder to get rid of bed bugs. The spicy and strong nature of these ingredients will make the bed bugs to offend them completely.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of oregano oil, grated ginger and cayenne pepper in 1 cup of water.
- Stir well and pour it in a pan on the stove.
- Boil it for about 7 minutes and strain the mix into an empty spray bottle.
- Spray it all around the entry points of the rooms where your suspect bed bugs.
- Continue doing the same process for every few days until you get resolved completely from the problem.
Remedy ? 6: (Black Walnut Tea)
This tea will offer antibacterial, antimicrobial, insecticidal and repellent properties that help to eliminate bed bugs. You can place the used tea bags of black walnut tea strategically throughout the home along with covering all the corners and bedding to eliminate the bugs and its eggs. Replace the tea bags regularly to get rid of bed bugs completely and to keep the home free from infections.
Remedy ? 7: (Peppermint Leaves)
Peppermint leaves act as a powerful bug repellent action that helps a lot in clearing the bed bugs. All you need is to crush up some dry mint leaves (2 ? 3 cups of leaves) till it makes a cup and then spread it all around the infested areas.
However, the spread of this paste is a little big problem but it is an effective remedy to get rid of the problem. For best and faster results, repeat the same process for once a week until you get rid of these insects. Make sure to vacuum the old leaves (which lost their potency) and replace their place with new ones to get rid of the problem.
Note: Even Indian lilac (neem) will help to clear these bed bugs with its antimicrobial properties. Spray neem oil or apply crushed neem leaves paste on the affected areas.
Remedy ? 8: (Bean Leaves)
The bean leaves contain trichomes (microscopic hooked hairs) which helps to pierce the bed bugs feet. It is an excellent way to trap the pests in the infected areas. Take some bean leaves and spread it all over the infected areas where you find bugs. Leave it like that to trap and clear these bed bugs. Do it regularly until you find all the bed bugs and its eggs are cleared completely from your home.
Remedy ? 9: (Thyme)
Thyme is an antimicrobial and disinfectant agent that helps to get relief from the bed bugs. Take a thyme stick and tie it with a cotton cloth and burn it near the bed bugs infected areas of your room along with its surrounding to repel these bed bugs.
Also, take fresh thyme leaves and place them in net bags. Put these bags in all over the infected areas like mattress, cupboards, beneath the cushions, corners, under the sofa, etc. But remember to replace the bags with fresh thyme leaves for every 3rd day, as it takes times why because the bed bugs hide.
Tips and Precautions:
- Vacuum is another effective tool used to clear bed bug infestation. So, vacuum everything like chairs, soft furniture, carpets, mattresses, box springs, etc. to eliminate bed bugs. Do this process for at least once a week regularly and dispose of the vacuum bag after you finish vacuuming the area. Also, use a hair dryer by setting it at a high temperature and position it around the mattress and infected area.
- Attach a double-sided tape around the bottom of the bed so that the bed bugs will get stuck if they try to sneak up on you, as it is the best remedy to check bed bugs.
- Scrub your mattress by using a stiff brush will help to eliminate the bed bugs and clear its eggs as well.
- Not only at high temperatures but also at cold temperature the bed bugs can?t withstand and gets cleared. So, place the infected items in the freezer for 4 days at 0?F.
- Rinse your clothes and other fabrics in hot water to prevent the chance of getting an infection, as they may come into contact with the infested areas.
- Regularly examine the corners of the mattress and cover them with a plastic cover to prevent this problem.
- If you?re using pesticides then make sure to keep the children away from these insecticides and close your nose to prevent the inhalation of these chemicals, as it leads to some serious side effects.
- Never ever move things from an infested room why because it spreads the bugs from one place to another and also avoid using second-hand furniture and mattress, as they are more prone to get infested.
- Prepare a homemade bug removal spray by simply mixing 2 tablespoons each of washing powder and disinfectant (Dettol) in 500 ml of drinking water. stir well and pour them into an empty spray bottle. Spray it on the bed bug infected areas for few times and it will kill the bugs and keep you free from infestation.
- Sweet flag (calamus) is a bed bug repellent herb with its antimicrobial properties. Prepare a solution with the calamus packet and spray it on the infected areas to get rid of these bed bugs.
- Beauveria bassiana is a natural insecticide that exhibits pre-lethal effects which reduce fecundity, feeding, and mobility.
- The acidic nature of clove will disturb the survival of bed bugs. Spray clove oil on the infected areas to destroy them easily.
- The pyrethrum is a extract formed by the combination of dried flower heads of C, coccineum and chysanthemum that exhibits natural insecticide property to kill the bed bugs.
Hope you will give a trial to these natural ways to get rid of the problem. Do you know any other successful ways to clear these bed bugs naturally? Then share your experience with us in the below comments box.